🔌 Critique my boondocking electrical setup!

I think I have done the research on this subject and put together a decent package. What are the pros and cons that you can see? I just want to be able to be off grid for long weekends, we want to be able to use the TV if it rains, hot water heater on propane, lights, fridge on propane. I am thinking of just using the shore power cord to plug into the invert which will be in the front compartment close to the batteries.

Here is everything I am planning on purchasing:

What are you trying to run on your RV? You should add up add the devices in watts first.

Make sure you turn off your battery charger before plugging that in. Otherwise you will have a loop and the charger will be charging the battery to the inverter wasting all kinds of power.

@Youngs74 are you going to try to run the AC from the inverter?

I would love the occasional AC use. More important is I want to be able to use all the outlets in my trailer. I happened to read this post and got me thinking about charging the setup. :thinking:

I assume you carry a generator? I think you should be considering inverter that can power share like the Magnum MSH line. You can combine the generator power with the battery power and run your entire rig. It is a lot less hokey then mounting a inverter, and plugging into it.

I would highly recommend a hybrid/power share/load assist (goes by many names) inverter charger. They can easily be installed, they replace the need for a bunch of products and ultimately the hybrid inverter will allow you to combine the power from generator and batteries to run any and all loads you have in your trailer. I would recommend the Victron Multiplus or Magnum MSH series inverter chargers.

How is this different from the one I put in this thread? I don’t have my generators yet but I am thinking a pair of Harbor Freight Predators.

What @TheSpareTir3 is thinking is trying to help you improve the efficiency when dry camping. If you wanted to run all the outlets and AC etc, you should get a inverter charger like the Magnum or Xantrex lines. The reason is even if you get new 6v batteries you need a new multistage charger because the onboard will take forever to charge and never equalize or desulfate. This adds easily $250 to new batteries.

If you want to start the AC or microwave from a small inverter generator you probably need two in parallel because of the peak power of these devices. However most of the time you don’t need that much power.

This is where the generator assist inverter chargers are the way to go. The bridge the gap by assisting the generator when it can’t make up enough power by borrowing some power from the batteries. Then as the load decreases it recharged the battery. This fills in the peaks and valleys of power usage, means you don’t need the second generator. Use less fuel with the one you have, less maintenance, noise, pollution etc.

As for a charger they are multistage and automatically reduce charge as your load goes up, something onboard can’t do.

For wiring, they are added between the shore power cord and the fuse panel. Means it can in theory power anything in your trailer.

Victron another manufacture made a great white paper on this topic - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/White-paper-Using-the-MultiPlus-to-reduce-operating-cost-of-a-generator-EN.pdf